The little Church of the Holy Cross at Ilam is one of those places that seems to have something to offer every visitor, no matter in what period or area their interest lies. There are stained glass windows that capture the light in jewel colours, humble memorials, vast and ornate tombs, a Mercian saint and a Saxon font…and traces of a history spanning a thousand years or more.
Although the village was not mentioned in the Domesday Book, the ‘Great Survey’ completed in 1086 by order of William the Conqueror, it is certain that a place of worship was already established here at that time. The first historical mention of which we have record is in the will of a lord named Wulfric dating from 1004, when King Aethelred confirmed the gifting of Ilam to Burton Abbey.
Since that time, and for who knows how long before, the little…
View original post 821 more words